Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Participating in a Clinical Trial

Participating in a Clinical Trial

Enrollment in any clinical trial is completely up to you. Your doctors and nurses will explain the study to you in detail and will give you a form to read and sign indicating your desire to take part. This process is known as giving your informed consent. Even after signing the form and after the clinical trial begins, you are free to leave the study at any time, for any reason. Taking part in the study does not prevent you from getting other medical care you may need.

To find out more about clinical trials, ask your cancer care team. Among the questions you should ask are:
  • What is the purpose of the study?
  • What kinds of tests and treatments does the study involve?
  • What does this treatment do?
  • What is likely to happen to me with, or without, this new research treatment?
  • What are my other choices and their advantages and disadvantages?
  • How could the study affect my daily life?
  • What side effects can I expect from the study? Can the side effects be controlled?
  • Will I receive treatment in my doctor's office or in one of the large cancer centers?
  • Will I have to be hospitalized? If so, how often and for how long?
  • Will the study cost me anything? Will any of the treatment be free?
  • If I am harmed as a result of the research, what treatment would I be entitled to?
  • What type of long-term follow-up care is part of the study?
  • Has the treatment been used to treat other types of cancers?

No comments:

Post a Comment